Pages

Sweet Victory!

So I finally did it. I gave in, and joined the blogging world. I'll admit that I'm not vain enough to think that anyone other than me cares about my thoughts, and the goings-on of my everyday life. I'll be the first to admit that my life really isn't that interesting. However, now seemed like the perfect time to start, as my life seems to be taking an interesting new turn. A definite turn for the better if you ask me.
I landed my dream job! Don't ask me how I did it, because I honestly couldn't tell you. I applied to Crazy Cakes on a whim more than 3 months ago, never considering the actual possibility that one day they would actually hire me. I have 2 semesters of culinary school under my belt, and the only baking experience that I have is what I've learned from my Mum. And while my experience baking for my family is extensive, to most it would probably be considered amateur. So I put my dreams of cupcakes and frosting out of my mind, not wanting to get my hopes up.
Months passed. I continued to bake and decorate cakes on my own, and honestly forgot that I applied at all. Then a miraculous thing happened. I got a phone call! The only problem was that I wasn't there to answer it. I'll be honest and admit that I was having a nap. Normally I keep my phone near by, even when I'm snoozing, but today it was upstairs, while I was 2 floors down, blissfully unaware that destiny was calling, quite literally. I awoke, and to my dismay discovered the missed call from Crazy Cakes. I checked to see if they had left a voicemail, not that it would have mattered, because my voicemail doesn't work anyway. I was crushed, thinking that I'd missed my only chance. But to make a long story short, I called them back, and got an interview. I've never had a job interview in my life, so I had no idea what to expect. I tried to muster everything I learned in Job Prep back in grade 9, but I couldn't think of anything that struck me as particularity useful. The interview seemed to go well. However she did mention that they were interviewing several people, at which point I knew I had no chance. I had no formal training, and no experience, not really what most people are looking for in an employee. But I guess I did something right because today they called me back! But of course, I missed that call too. However, upon calling back, to my utter and complete disbelief, was told that I got the job! Music to my ears.
I'm pretty pleased with myself right about now. But I'm nervous too. I've never worked for anyone other than my dad. Honestly one of the thing that scares me most is that Crazy Cakes serves coffee. 3 kinds of coffee to be exact. I have absolutely no clue how to make coffee. That's probably the stupidest thing to worry about, when there is a million other things that I don't know how to do either. But I'm super excited to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment